Trophy Score

Mountain Lion Really Killed this Whitetail

This photo caught a mountain lion near a feeder after killing a whitetail buck

Readers of this site know that I usually write about deer management and anything related to hunting and white-tailed deer. In addition, I do my best to get the facts correct before  publishing content that I feel is accurate and helpful to hunters and land owners such as yourselves. Well, about a month ago I wrote an article that featured the photo above of a mountain lion dragging a dead buck, and stated that the photo was a fake. As it turns out, the photo is not fake, but a really amazing trail camera photo taken on a ranch in South Texas.

Every deer hunter that has spent any amount of time in the woods, or more appropriately around a campfire with other hunters, has heard stories related to mountain lion sightings. In fact, that’s one of the best things about getting outdoors and into the wildlife woods–you just never know what you are going to see. And speaking from experience and these photos below, there are some pretty amazing things going on in the “woods” all of the time.

Photos, like campfire stories, are not always truthful. Before writing the first article about this photo of a mountain lion dragging a buck, I did a little research regarding the photo. If this photo had been faked, it would not have been the first. To make a long story short, someone admitted that they had ”made” the photo. As it turns out, the real owner of the mountain lion photo saw the article, contacted me, gave the real story, and provided me with additional photos to corroborate the mountion lion kill.

The photos below are in time succession, show a deer fleeing the area prior to the buck kill, and you can even see the drag marks in the dirt after the lion walks in front of the game camera. The ranch owner even said he found the whitetail’s head and remains about six weeks after these photos were taken. A truly remarkable occurrence, especially since it was caught on film. A special thanks to Chet Markgraf for his story and these photos!

This photo caught a mountain lion near a feeder after killing a whitetail buckThis photo caught a mountain lion near a feeder after killing a whitetail buckThis photo caught a mountain lion near a feeder after killing a whitetail buck

124 Comment(s)

1. Glad you posted this. Some idiot in Pennsylvania photoshopped the image and it’s going around all over the place that it occurred in Cambridge Springs, PA.

Charlie | Sep 11, 2009 | Reply

2. My dad tried to say it was Photoshopped, so of course I had to google it. Thanks for the article about this mountain lion.

Andi | Sep 13, 2009 | Reply

3. I heard today that it was Artemas, Pennsylvania, and questioned it because it’s a rare occurance for a mountain lion in that area. Decided to look it up on the web. Thanks for the truth, so I can shut down the BIG BOY gossipers…

TORI | Sep 15, 2009 | Reply

4. yeah thanks for the truth shut the guys up at work

Jonathon | Sep 16, 2009 | Reply

5. Thanks for the pic… I too googled it because my hubby came home and said that one of his customers texted it to him saying that it was taken in Coshocton County, Ohio… LOL

Andrea K | Sep 18, 2009 | Reply

6. Thanks for publishing this!!! It tried to circulate the Indiana, PA area… that is a big cat for this area!!! Nice try people! Next time you want to say your trail cam got a pic like this, make sure you don’t get the pic from a popular site like this!!!

Chisy | Sep 18, 2009 | Reply

7. The picture has made it to Southeastern North Carolina as well. Several of my readers forwarded the photo or contacted me about it, amazed at the size of such a deer in our area as much as the presence of a “panther.” Enough of a hubbub that it makes our paper next week. While many of us hope we do have panthers in the Green Swamp, Colly Bay and Cape Fear Valley – we knew in our hearts this wasn’t from around here. Thanks for clearing it up. It’s an incredible sequence, regardless of the locale.

Wildman | Sep 18, 2009 | Reply

8. We live in a small town in ga called Thomaston. This picture broke out in a text message that my father in law sent me from someone who sent it to him. Now everyone in our small town is talking saying OMG theres a mountain lion. LOL, so I decided to google it because my sister just could not believe it. I pulled this up, so thanks for posting. Now I’m going to tell the truth that its not in damn Georgia, its in SOUTH TEXAS!

Laura | Sep 18, 2009 | Reply

9. This picture is also going around by text saying that it occured in Dinwidde, Virginia. I thought it was not true and google it and found this site. That’s what I thought.

Griffin | Sep 19, 2009 | Reply

10. Thanks for the article. I got this picture via text 2 days ago—saying it was taken in my area in central Virginia! My husband knew it couldn’t be true!!

Kris | Sep 19, 2009 | Reply

11. It’s going around in Western North Carolina now. The story is that “a farmer with motion sensors caught it.” Eastern mountain lions are SUPPOSED to be extinct in the wild–even though every person who has family that has lived here more than 2 generations has someone who has seen one in their family tree (there has been A LOT of alleged sightings lately too). I’ve heard either a mountain lion or a panther before—the eerie scream). I was so excited when it was texted to me. FINALLY, it though, we have PROOF. It was big let down that it wasn’t taken here. Anyways, FYI to anyone from the Appalachians if they get this posted, emailed or texted….

Haley | Sep 19, 2009 | Reply

12. That’s ok, in just one day this mountain lion pic has been showed to me twice and been in different places both times. North River, West Virgina, and Round Hill, Virginia. People just don’t have anything better to do?

Stephanie | Sep 20, 2009 | Reply

13. I of course being a child of the “snopes” era had to check out the credibility, so thanks for having an awesome follow up on this picture for the real story. Oh, and the story around my area is that the photos was taken in Batavia, NY.

Mandee | Sep 21, 2009 | Reply

14. Word is here that the mountain lion picture was taken east of Ava, Missouri. Funny thing is though, I didn’t know mesquite grew in the Ozarks! Pretty impressive cat if he is dragging this deer from MO to GA to WV, OH, and NC. Are people realy this naive, or just not too bright?

Doc | Sep 22, 2009 | Reply

15. The hard pan soil was a dead give away.

JohnOfArmstrongPa | Sep 23, 2009 | Reply

16. I’m glad I found this, but am disappointed that it really is not from central New York, as I had heard. The quality of the photo circulating around here is so bad that it’s impossible to make out details like the scrub brush or mesquite. That’s a pretty big tip-off that this photo/panther is not from this far north!

Phil | Sep 23, 2009 | Reply

17. This cat gets around. I too, was made aware of its presence in Batavia, NY. Anyone who studies whitetail could recognize the origin of that deer. Only in Texas do they have bucks small enough for a tabby to kill and carry ;)

Rob | Sep 24, 2009 | Reply

18. I live in north-eastern Iowa and I got this photo today saying it actually happened here. There’s been rumors going around that the DNR has released cougars around this area and this was a actual picture proving the DNR has been doing it. I knew I’d seen this photo somewhere online before, so I better check it out and make sure I was correct before I started spreading the word around.

TimIowa | Sep 24, 2009 | Reply

19. It doesn’t stop there… the photo made its way to small town Indiana. Laurel/Andersonville Area or Franklin County. If the picture had been true it would have put the kill pretty much in our backyard. Rumor-mill stated that the lion was killing cattle, running horses, people were finding dead deer; you name it the lion was jumping counties quickly with a long list of murder victims. If it wasn’t for my husband who had seen the photo on-line then there would have been a massive cat-hunt for a mountain lion that lives in south Texas. I don’t think the hunters are willing to travel that far!

The Griffin Family | Sep 25, 2009 | Reply

20. Thanks so much for posting this article… this “cat” sure does get around. I’m in a small town in Andrews, South Carolina. I received a telophone call from my grandfather stating that there was a cougar in a small community near us. Well, words going around fast so I finaly can shut them up. They sure had me fooled though! Thanks again!

blaine floyd | Sep 26, 2009 | Reply

21. Well, I was fooled when I saw the picture, but I went to a sniper school at Fort Hood and the hard-packed ground does give that away. Looks like Texas.

Blaine Floyd | Sep 26, 2009 | Reply

22. Thanks for bringing out the truth. This photo was printed in the local paper where I live in North Carolina. Three men submitted it saying the photo of the mountain lion dragging the buck was taken on their land in North Carolina. I can’t believe the paper printed it without doing a little research. Besides, I have never seen mesquite growing here in NC.

Mountainman | Sep 26, 2009 | Reply

23. How about that! My husband recieved this picture in an email and we live in St Louis, Missouri. It stated that this deer was killed by a mountain lion in Winfield, Missouri, which is about 45 minutes outside of St Louis.

Lori | Sep 27, 2009 | Reply

24. Glad I found this web site. I thought it was a Texas deer, but even in good copies of photo it looked photo shopped.

L Miller | Sep 27, 2009 | Reply

25. I too live in Virginia and the story going around was that it was taken in Halifax CO. Didn’t believe that and don’t believe this. Man, this is a joke. This may be real, if the cat found the deer already dead. In survival there would have been a fight and the deer would have wounds, hair pulled this way and that. Why would the mountain lion drag the whitetail buck somewhere first? If it killed because it was hungry, it would have eaten first, then cached the animal. It would not be hard to put the drag mark in place as part of the hoax. My feeling is, no blood, no kill. I’ll be a believer when another picture is provided.

Jimmy | Sep 29, 2009 | Reply

26. This cougar picture has made it to East Central Illinois and was supposedly taken here, but I believe you that it was taken in Texas.

Fat head | Sep 30, 2009 | Reply

27. I got this pic from my daughter, who got it from a friend and it stated it was taken south of Marshall, Texas.

phil walker | Oct 1, 2009 | Reply

28. Now it has made its way to Camden, Tennessee! Also said that it was caught from local wildlife camera… unbelievable!!

DN | Oct 1, 2009 | Reply

29. That is one traveling cougar! I got an e-mail from mom that this picture was taken two nights ago in Santee, South Carolina. Anyone that hunts SC knows our deer don’t get that big!!! LOL

Michael | Oct 5, 2009 | Reply

30. We had that same pic circulating our hunting community in Warren County, New Jersey. Damn, I love my stupid huntin buddies.

Lenny Duane | Oct 5, 2009 | Reply

31. Our local Fish and Game office here in Massachusetts just got a call from someone asking about this picture he received on his cell-phone, supposedly taken by a “state trooper in Copake, NY”. Glad to be able to debunk this myth before it gets too wide a foothold.

Brian | Oct 6, 2009 | Reply

32. This lion gets around. He made it to Pinos Altos, New Mexico too. We have whitetails but only a small subspecies called Coues. This would have been the world record Coues!!!! You Texans, keep your lion at home, we have plenty here.

C J | Oct 6, 2009 | Reply

33. It made its way to McDonough County in Illinois – and the picture was “taken” the night before bow season started on a local camera. Thanks for publishing this article. My dad’s an outfitter and his guys will be glad to hear that they are safe when they are hunting here.

Larry | Oct 7, 2009 | Reply

34. This cat has made the rounds. Just got a call this morning from a reporter wanting to know if this was true … the panther is now stalking deer in Clay County, Florida. Thanks for this article. I was able to do some rumor control.

Karen | Oct 9, 2009 | Reply

35. Have to agree that with a prior poster. Why are there no signs of a kill by the “cougar”. The deer looks untouched.

scott | Oct 9, 2009 | Reply

36. Boy that Cougar sure can travel! Word up here was that it was spotted in Cornell, Wisconsin, by a trail cam. Thanks for debunking the myth before I began to help spread it. Bob

Bob | Oct 14, 2009 | Reply

37. The same cougar was spotted in Trumbull County, Ohio, not to far from a busy highway, airport, and air force base. Maybe that’s how it’s able to be in so many places. It’s racking up some frequent flyer miles.

Matt | Oct 15, 2009 | Reply

38. The same picture was said to have been taken in Taylor, TX, by Lake Granger. He sure can move fast.

Eric | Oct 15, 2009 | Reply

39. Word around here is that this trail cam pic was taken outside Salem, Indiana. And no, we don’t have any big cats in the Hoosier state. I am amazed at the number of people that believe it was in Indiana!

Bruce | Oct 30, 2009 | Reply

40. That is some pretty crazy stuff! I have seen some stuff like that, but that is the most crazy thing I have ever seen. Congrats to the mountain lion.

cody | Oct 30, 2009 | Reply

41. This cat made it down to the Alabama/Tennessee line last week! :-)

Springer | Nov 4, 2009 | Reply

42. Well, add Calloway County just north of Murray, KY to the list. It was supposedly taken in Clarks River bottoms 4 miles downstream from my house. I was very suspicious so I wound up here.

Tim Ray | Nov 4, 2009 | Reply

43. I decided to do some research on this lion photo because it was given to me and I was told it was taken a few miles away from my house. Well, turns out it was, and I live 10 miles from where it was taken. My buddies and I hunt coyotes around here, so hope he doesn’t suprise us.

Cody K | Nov 5, 2009 | Reply

44. The same pic was sent to me saying it was shot in White County, Indiana. That is one fast and hungry cat!

Eric | Nov 5, 2009 | Reply

45. Crap, I covered 13 miles the last 3 days hunting for this thing in Delaware Water Gap PA

Rich P | Nov 6, 2009 | Reply

46. To Jimmy and Scott, I was just wondering if you two guys are hunters. If not I can understand why you wouldn’t believe these photos. I live in Texas, hunt all over the this great state and we have some pretty amazing things happen. If you do hunt and you’ve been successfull before, then you should know that there are times when you shoot an animal that you don’t always get the bloody mess that you’re shallow mind is wanting to see.

I don’t recall anybody on here asking you to believe it. What I will do is challenge each one of you to go down to Texas, go on a week hunt in an area like this, and spend your nights outdoors. Then we will see what your opinion is then.

David | Nov 10, 2009 | Reply

47. Wow, he really travels. This cougar was supposed to be up here in northeast Washington state!! ha ha.

Mike | Nov 13, 2009 | Reply

48. Well, that cat had people in a email uproar in Maine. Always been rumors of cats here. It spread thru the town of Ellsworth, Maine, like wildfire. It got me!

cyrus | Nov 17, 2009 | Reply

49. This cat has been everywhere. I got the picture in a text message about a month ago. Story is picture was taken by a trail camera somewhere around New Salem, North Dakota, which is about 30 miles strait west of Bismarck.

Mike | Nov 22, 2009 | Reply

50. I have been whitetail hunting in the same spot for 14 years. I have heard and heard again stories of mountain lions on my farm, but this year I was mowing around my deer stand in July and sure enough, a giant mountain lion ran out of the grass.

Tony battaglia | Nov 24, 2009 | Reply

51. Since almost every state in the union is represented I thought I better get southern Minnesota in here. We have some cougars around and we have rumors of DNR releasing cougars in the area. I’ve been hearing about this pic for a week or two. Most were saying it was taken by a trail cam near Winnebago, Minnesota, and included the name of the property owner. I researched the story on google when I first heard about it hoping I would get to see a video of a local cougar dragging a deer. I found it pretty comical when I received the pic from two different people today. One said from Truman and included the property owner’s name and one saying it was taken near Frost, MN.

Bill | Nov 24, 2009 | Reply

52. WOW, this is better than a big fish story! It looks like every state in the U.S. has claimed it. We got the picture about a month ago and was told it was taken within 30 miles of us in Tazewell, Virginia. Good thing our cousin recognized the pic.

Michele | Nov 27, 2009 | Reply

53. Just to let everyone know, the cat and buck are in Mississippi now. Not sure where they are headed.

Stacy | Dec 6, 2009 | Reply

54. This pic has been getting people in an uproar. But this is a actual photo very simular to this photo of a lion with a deer in its mouth, but this one was a smaller deer and was taken by cell phone on a front lawn on route 1A in Ellsworth. Now could it be possible that some people from up here are getting these two photos confused?

Frank | Dec 6, 2009 | Reply

55. I completely believe this. If you look at the drag marks made by the cat it’s kind of hard to get those marks exactly the same. Almost impossible. And cougars are known to drag their kill to a tree to eat so that they are not disturbed. Great pic!

Dylan | Dec 25, 2009 | Reply

56. ANY deer can be taken by a mountain lion. My question is (since this is obviously not an infra-red flash trail cam), could this buck have been near (50 feet or so) from the camera when it flashed before, thereby giving the deer night blindness and not allowing the buck to intelligently escape the lion (or even see it)? Just a thought…

Hunter D | Jan 4, 2010 | Reply

57. WOW, this cat has been around!! I live in southern Minnesota near Truman, where this cat was supposedly seen. Myself, as has anyone else that seen the picture, knew it was not from this area. You dont see hard-packed ground like that around here unless you are standing in the middle of a gravel road ;).

However, in response to Bill’s comment about the Minnesota DNR releasing Mountain Lions in our area, I will tell you that it is absoulutely TRUE! We lease some land near Truman MN for hunting and the landowner spotted a mother and 2 cubs on our land this fall. He contacted the DNR and they told him infact that they have released 3 mountain lions in the area. Their reasoning: To control coyote populations. Haha, what a joke!

Brandon | Jan 12, 2010 | Reply

58. Still circulating…now it’s in Kansas!

Christi | Jan 15, 2010 | Reply

59. It’s now in Gilford, New Hampshire. There have not been any mountain lions in New Hampshire since the late 1800′s, but every once in awhile there is a supposed sighting. This one got a lot of us excited. However, facts are facts. Too bad.

Paul F. | Jan 15, 2010 | Reply

60. What a popular photo. It has made it to Lake Winnipesaukee, New Hampshire. The big cat was allegedly was in Gilford, NH.

Delong | Jan 18, 2010 | Reply

61. Might as well add Oklahoma to the list. The local pawn shop has this picture taped to the door saying it was taken in Whiteoak.

K. Williams | Jan 20, 2010 | Reply

62. Was told this mountain lion photo was taken in Gilford, New Hampshire. I was telling people it was true and now I sound like an ass. Oh well. Glad the truth is out!!

Terry | Jan 23, 2010 | Reply

63. I can’t say if it was 8 or 10 years ago, but I remember it was in August. I saw a cat just like this in Abbieville, South Carolina. I went to my wildlife dept and told them, but the guy just laughed at me. Well, kinda of. I told him If I saw it again that I would shoot it. I really wasn’t because he also told me there was a $60,000 fine and jail time if I did? This didn’t make sense to me since mountain lions are not here??? A few days later SHE was seen with 2 cubs (by me and 3 other people). As much time as I have spent in the outdoors I have never seen anything like that since.

William Cogburn | Jan 23, 2010 | Reply

64. What county and the nearest town?

Robert | Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

65. Thought you’d like to know that versions (PhotoShopped) of the cougar photos are making the email rounds up here in Maine as purported sightings of cougars on a “game camera.” Some people have a lot of time on their hands I guess.

Clarke Nattress | Feb 2, 2010 | Reply

66. Well, I feel pretty dumb. Chet’s neighbor told me that this was caught on Chet’s camera and I told him he was full of it. I got the pic from a friend in SC via text message and thought it was from out that way. Now, I see this and it verifies the story of coming from Chet’s camera. Right in my own backyard! Gonna go bring in the pets now. See y’all later!

Bill | Feb 8, 2010 | Reply

67. Maybe the picture could have been photoshopped, but if so, they did a good job. A cougar or big cat usually grabs prey by the neck, both to kill and to drag. As far as why the deer didn’t look like it had been put through the wringer, that is one big cougar, with plenty of jaw pressure. They kill pretty efficiently. Surely, if you ever had a house cat that catches mice or birds, you’ve seen some all torn up and others that barely have a mark.

This video was posted on some Colorado news website: Mountain Lion Kill Video

It is a different cougar, looks to be smaller, maybe a female. Assuming this was not somehow staged (and how would you propose to do that?), note the deer is not all bloody and beaten up. And note how quickly it was all over. Big cats put a bite to the neck if they can, to either damage the nervous system or asphyxiate.

Edward Akin | Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

68. I know where this is and where it happened. It was close to Zapata Texas. My ranch is a few ranches down. And we’ve seen two black panthers too.

Joseph Uribe | May 11, 2010 | Reply

69. How come some of the photos have a drag mark across the dirt and some don’t. Is there two different bucks?

Nathan Lench | Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

70. After the months or years of reading the reviews of this picture and articles that have been tangled around this I felt it is my two cents to chime in. I feel that this cat is a possible venture. Weird things happen in the woods everyday and only sometimes or by mere chance we get to see such things. Example the black or white deer talked about here.

My story: Back in april I was hunting a ranch for pigs in central Texas. While on the hunt I was able to watch several deer walk past me at about 150 yards through the flat. They were not alone and followed by a cat trailing them about 100 yards from behind. After asking the ranch manager about it he said a cat has only been spotted a few times over the years.

The point to this story is that anything can happen. Nature has its own course, and only by chance we are lucky enough to see things we only hear about. Moral to the story I guess would be watch you back…. and never underestimate what can happen in nature.

Travis | Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

71. Oklahoma in now in the mix, but the funny thing is the guy even tried to say it was on his farm and with his own game-cam. Gotta love people! Get your own stories, and if you feel the need to tell them, give the guy credit whose pics they actually are.

John | Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

72. My husband received this pic as a text in Sept of 2009 and was told it was from a trail camera in Coshocton, Ohio. This month it is being passed around as being on a farm in Southern Ohio. Thanks for the info!

Tiffany | Oct 10, 2010 | Reply

73. Well, I was just sent this image this morning with the claim it was from Houston, Missouri. So it is apparently still migrating!

Phil | Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

74. It never ceases to amaze me: this photo has made it’s way to Missouri as well. People sure have an active imagination.

M J Warren | Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

75. There is a mountain lion my cousin has on trail camera. It has eaten a deer, and on his 1,000 pound bull that showed up dead. This is in Ohio.

Terry | Nov 28, 2010 | Reply

76. I want some proof that someone saw a mountain lion in Ohio. The picture from this site is still being passed around. I just got it yesterday saying it was taken in Jackson, Ohio. I think mountain lions do exist in Ohio, but I want some proof. I believe I saw one a few years ago just outside Zanesville. I saw it for a second or two, really it’s silhouette.

Mark Jackson | Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

77. I live just south east of Waco, Texas, and I have seen 3 cougars on my ranch. Seriously, I have photos of lion tracks with deer and hog prints in side of their prints. I also have pics of them on my camera.

Jason | Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

78. This picture also claims to have been taken near Solon Spring, Wisconsin. The terrain does not look like that of northwest Wisconsin, nor is the deer as big as it would be. Cool pic though.

Brian | Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

79. My Brother (38) and I (37) are sure we spotted a “Puma concolor” couguar” with light yellowish hair on Saturday January 1 at about 11:30 pm. I was a passenger in the car traveling north bound on I-95 in a heavily wooded area, somewhere near the Halifax exit of North Carolina. There were no houses or buildings for a long stretch of that terrain and we are sure it was not a dog.

Aristide Zurbuch | Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

80. They think this lion may be a momma lion with some cubs somewhere and she is killing and taking food back to the little ones.

Kenneth Gibbs | Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

81. Cool pic. A lot of cougar sightings in northern Minnesota. I want to see one now!

Dylan | Jan 10, 2011 | Reply

82. Got this picture from a text message by one of my family members who lives in South Texas. Glad to see they were not spreading lies when they told me it was from that area. They said it was near Freer, Texas. Anyone know for sure?

Captin | Jan 16, 2011 | Reply

83. This surfaced in Elk City, Oklahoma. This was a rumor saying that it was taken here. Glad this was cleared!

Jessica | Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

84. This picture surfaced in Mangum, Oklahoma. This animal was said to be taken there as well.

Rob | Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

85. This was posted by a city in the Texas Panhandle claiming it was taken in Carson County. I called the city for permission to publish (I own a small newspaper), which they gave me! Guess research paid off in this case – I won’t be publishing!

Margie Braidfoot | Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

86. I saw a big mountain lion on Hwy. 69 in Hale County. We turned around, went back and saw it again. It was limping like it was hurt. I did not know there were lions this close to us.

Paula Aldredge | May 7, 2011 | Reply

87. Thanks for the real story about the infamous beast lol! I’ve seen big mountain lion tracks here in southern Indiana a few years ago, but I’ve never actually seen one yet. Hope to some day, as long as I’m not on the menu!

Warren Bills | Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

88. I guess people are getting bored. I received this photo today that it was in South Central Kansas.

Chris | Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

89. Bored in Oklahoma… someone decided to circulate it again. Just because I guess the wildlife department found one dead on the highway last month.

Tony | Nov 18, 2011 | Reply

90. Appears that the photo was actually taken in South Texas several years ago.

Walt | Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

91. Well this pic finally made it’s way to Kentucky. It was told that it was taken in the Brownsville area. We all believed it to be true because we have mountain lions around the area. In fact, a few years back we had one come through our area and my big yellow lab was apparently supper for a pair along with a neighbors husky mix. Hated the loss, but love he animals.

Greedith Butler | Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

92. Now this photo has been submitted to Oklahoma City television station, News9.com as having been taken near Lexington, OKlahoma in Cleveland County.

Tell Sackett | Nov 25, 2011 | Reply

93. This is now going around facebook and believe it or not, someone posted that this was taken in the Florida panhandle and was supposed to be a Florida cougar.

Rita | Nov 27, 2011 | Reply

94. I received it saying it was in Southern Florida. Those babies must be starving by now waiting for the food to get to them. LOL

Ginger | Nov 27, 2011 | Reply

95. It is now in Ellis County, Kansas!

Roy | Dec 7, 2011 | Reply

96. This is better than a bigfoot sighting. Run kitty, run.

James Anderson | Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

97. The kitty has made its way to Oklahoma City; I fell for it hook, line and sinker…. until I had a good nights sleep and looked at it again. My first clue was the fact that it was sent to me by my son, and reality set in when my other son sent me this website.

Ruth Ann | Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

98. It was photographed at the Brazil Ranch in South Texas.

Deadeye | Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

99. Saw it on Facebook today, rumor patrol is saying the picture was taken in Arcadia Florida…LoL! This mountain lion sure does get around!

Michele | Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

100. Sorry, but I’m still not convinced it’s real. Where is the blood?? And just looking at that drag trail, it seems pretty neat. One thick line, I’ve never seen a drag trail so precise. It would be wicked cool if it was real, but FOR ME it just seems real.

Hunter | Feb 6, 2012 | Reply

101. Now this is going around on Facebook as being taken in West Virginia!! I linked here for proof hopefully. I use photoshop everyday professionally. This looks legit- or someone wasted a lot of time in their life making something they’re not getting credit for!

David Rader | Feb 7, 2012 | Reply

102. YES, IT WAS THE BIG RUMOR GOING AROUND HERE IN ETOWAH COUNTY, AL. ALLEDGEDLY IT WAS TAKEN IN GALLANT, AL. DAMN REDNECKS AROUND HERE!

RYAN-MAYO | Apr 4, 2012 | Reply

103. Yep, thanks for the info. After two years, this mountain lion has finally made it’s way to NH.

C Michal | May 10, 2012 | Reply

104. Facebook says it’s a catamount from my area in Northern Vermont.. Ya right!

David | May 28, 2012 | Reply

105. This exact same picture came out here in south texas (eagle pass) on a mexican news paper (zocalo) and supposable it was found in a ranch in mexico that border eagle pass, there have been a lot more mountain lion sightings down here, and the terrain certainly looks like mexico.

Jaime | Jun 22, 2012 | Reply

106. Just had a neighborhood visit on the porch. Looks like this cat has longer legs than the picture shows. He’s been spotted with the same buck just outside of Savannah, Tennessee. Wish I could get his secret to preserving his catch and oh of course his travel methods. Only one thing to say here “BEAM ME UP SCOTTY”!!! LOL

Mr Butch | Jul 5, 2012 | Reply

107. My wife & I were Deer huntin Near Tolar, Texas. We sat in our stands until dark as
    usual. We were somewhat puzzled that we saw none of the deer that usually showed up like clock work. NOT to mention the birds that always came in. As we started back to the truck suddenly a loud scream like a woman.

Nick | Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

108. From Tennessee to Eastern Kentucky now! Saw in facebook newsfeed tonight the same photo, supposedly from Blaine, KY. I did a reverse lookup on the photo and one of the hits was this site. Not that I don’t believe there are cougars here (the old folks call them panthers, though);

I saw one myself near Cave Run Lake in East-Central Kentucky about 20 years ago, and a young one was killed on the highway (this was well-documented) in Floyd County, KY in the mid 1990s. No doubt in my mind that with the reintroduction of elk to the area & the population boom in deer, the cougars are probABLY REBOUNDING, TOO.

S | Sep 20, 2012 | Reply

109. Wow, over two years and this picture is still on the move. People believe the stupidest things. Cool picture, had to see where it came from. Got told it came from a trail cam in Delton, michigan. Maybe it came from the moon…and it’s a zombie cat, someone start that rumor.

Dieter | Oct 6, 2012 | Reply

110. I live in South Texas, right on the Rio Grande, between Eagle Pass and Laredo. We DO have lions here. I’ve spotted them several times and shot one [yes, it's legal in Texas] while deer hunting perhaps 400 yards from the Rio Grande. Most the lions I’ve seen–including kills and tracks–are close to the river. I’ve wondered if they spend the day in the thick river side cane brakes.

Perhaps more interesting, while bow hunting for wild hogs, I heard two lions screaming perhaps 50 yards from where I was sitting. I got a glimpse of one of them through the brush–but only a glimpse. The screams were remarkable in both quality and volume. Has anyone else here ever heard a mountain lion screaming up REAL close? If so, I’d like to compare experiences.

Ron

Ron Braithwaite | Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

111. Well, I now have Johnny Cash’s “I’ve been Everywhere” stuck in my head! This showed up on facebook today as having come from a little town in the woods of Eastern Connecticut!
    We DID have a cougar hit by a car in our state last year, but the DNA proved it to be from WAY west of here – they think it was a “captive” animal that had been released, or escaped. Thanks so much for all this interesting info everybody.

Annie Clark | Dec 1, 2012 | Reply

112. Pic is now going on Facebook that it was taken in Conneticut. Sheesh! :-P

Lucy | Dec 3, 2012 | Reply

113. The times on the trail camera don’t match up. The one with the mountain lion say 2/15/2009 4:31 am and the other picture with the the buck by himself eating says 7:20 am. As well as all the other ones. Explain that.

Extreme Hunter | Dec 7, 2012 | Reply

114. The times do match up Extreme Hunter. Read the article. Not the same buck in the later photos, but shows the drag marks!!!

BigTime | Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

115. It is true, I promise, their here in Tennessee. small numbers and very weary keep them hidden most of the time. I have seen two in 40 plus years and many hours in the woods. Their not black, just good old mountain lions, cougars, pumas and whatever else you want to call them. We have pictures of tracks and even some pics of the cats and our game officers tell us they don’t exist, but make sure not to shoot one. That should tell you everything you need to know. They are here.

Ken | Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

116. That picture is currently now being circulated in Southeastern CT, saying this occurred in Griswold, CT.

iminplainfield | Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

117. Now it’s on Facebook, saying it’s in Hopkinton,IA… Gessshhh!! I wish folks would not add to stories. I posted this link to their FB wall.

Kaeleen | Jan 14, 2013 | Reply

118. Well, the pic made it’s way to south Georgia (Albany) over the weekend. Story I was told was that some guy in Alabama shot the deer, couldn’t find it and went home. Supposedly he came back to check his camera a few days later and found this pic – ha! Glad to know the real story.

Gary Collier | Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

119. It’s made it to Louisiana now. When will it stop!?!?

Lewis | Mar 20, 2013 | Reply

120. Someone posted that it was a Panther in Harlan Ky! Glad to know the real story

Sherry Reiss | Aug 26, 2013 | Reply

121. Rob, that cat is big enough to drag your fat wife into the woods!

Dan | Oct 14, 2013 | Reply

122. Apparently this picture was taken in Tweed, Ontario, Canada, just last week. People are not smart.

Gary | Dec 4, 2013 | Reply

123. This photo has been circulating in south eastern Ontario as well. I took one look at the rack and knew better (too flat and too wide for our whitetails). Thanks for the confirmation though.

Don Scott | Dec 12, 2013 | Reply

124. Just got this photo. From Messena, New York, now.

turkeyfeathers | Dec 14, 2013 | Reply