Trophy Score

All About Albino White-tailed Deer

All About Albino White-tailed Deer

Albino deer. Every deer hunter has heard of one or at least thought about seeing one, but what’s the deal with albino white-tailed deer? Among the questions most often asked is “what causes some whitetail deer to be albinos?” Well, although albino deer a rare for the most part, albinism is not.

Albinism is a recessive trait found in many animals including mammals, birds, reptiles, fish and even plants! Albino animals do not have the gene for normal coloration and do not produce the enzyme responsible for skin, hair, and tissue coloration. The result of this genetic oddity is the total absence of body pigment.

In addition to the lack of body pigment, the eyes of an albino are pink because blood vessels behind the lenses show through the unpigmented irises. As you can guess, albinism is not a great trait for an animal, either predator or prey, unless they live in area with constant snow cover.

Obviously, being totally white year-round makes concealment in most deer habitat difficult. To make matters worse, many albinos in general have poor eyesight. Perhaps that is why albino deer are rare: lack of camoflauge increases deer predator attacks, poor eyesight, and a recessive, rare gene. A gene will usually only be passed on through a population if the traits that those genes control are beneficial to an animal. However, some traits, such as albinism, can be carried an non necessarily exhbited.

All About Albino White-tailed Deer

Because albinism is a recessive trait, both deer must carry the gene before it can occur in their offspring. An albino deer bred to another albino would have only albinos. An albino bred to a normal deer with no recessive genes for albinism would produce all normally pigmented white-tailed deer. Offspring from this cross would carry the recessive gene for albinism but would be normally colored.

When carriers of albinism breed there is a one-in-four chance they will produce an albino fawn. As I mentioned earlier, recessive genetic traits typically become less common unless they confer a survival advantage or are artificially enhanced through selective breeding.

All About Albino White-tailed Deer

Based on deer hunter reports, only about one deer in 30,000 is an albino! However, not all white deer are true albinos. Some white whitetails have normally pigmented noses, eyes and hooves. In that instance, it would only be a genetic mutation for hair color but not other pigments.

163 Comment(s)

1. My husband and my son and I saw an albino deer this evening. We live in Garrett County, Maryland. It was amazing!

Robin Moreau | Mar 24, 2008 | Reply

2. I have an albino deer that lives in my backyard. I live in wakeforest nc

lauren | Apr 16, 2008 | Reply

3. My son, husband, and I saw an albino deer in a corn field in Kansasville, WI. I thought it was a goat, until I saw it run. Very cool!

kt | Oct 25, 2008 | Reply

4. I just saw my very first Albino deer! I didn’t even know they existed. He was not just amazing, he was breath-taking. I just stopped and watched him. Why people can’t see the beauty in some animals is beyond me. North Carolina

Denise | Oct 27, 2008 | Reply

5. Hey, I shot an albino whitetail doe in Bridgewater, Nova Scotia, Canada about 3 years ago. She was 110 lbs and a beautiful animal to truly see.

shane j | Nov 2, 2008 | Reply

6. I just saw an albino whitetail buck today. He was the most gorgeous thing I’ve ever seen! I got to within 50 feet of him and tried to take pictures on my cell phone, but they didn’t turn out that well. He had a very nice rack. I live in Southwestern Pennsylvania. What a rare and beautiful sight. We shall se if he makes it through hunting season.

Melanie | Nov 6, 2008 | Reply

7. My wife and I were traveling to Austin, Texas last Thursday November 13, 2008 and 8 to 10 miles north of Lampasas on Hwy 281 she saw a albino deer on a wheat field on the west side of the highway. We turned around and returned to the field and to our amazement their was four albino deer less than 100 yards from the highway. I had binoculars to make sure what we were witnessing. One was a spike and the rest were does. I am trying to contact our local game warden to confirm with the Lampasas game warden.

bob osborne | Nov 17, 2008 | Reply

8. My boyfriend hunts a good bit and he saw an albino 4 point the other morning. I also see one almost every morning in the back corner of a field right in the city limits where I work in Lousiville, MS.

Kayla | Nov 29, 2008 | Reply

9. This morning I saw a white deer in woods behind my house. Never knew such deer even existed. At first I thought it was a goat. Did not get close enough to be able to tell if it was a true albino, but what an amazing sight! The location is near Pittsville in Wicomico County, Maryland.

Dick Warren | Dec 5, 2008 | Reply

10. My friend and I saw an albino buck while fishing in California. It was a 2 point buck. This happened the Tuesday beforeThanksgiving in the Central Valley of California. An amazing sight! I did get some pics on a poloroid, but not very clear. Ralph Tonseth, Dec. 8, 2008

Ralph Tonseth | Dec 8, 2008 | Reply

11. Hi Lauren of WakeForest,

I live in Youngsville, NC and there is a true albino living my neighborhood here. I keep corn put out and I have taken many pics of him in my backyard. He comes by daily. He is a buttonhead buck and appears to be about a year old. I have seen a lot of albinos around the Franklin County area, which is unbelievable to me.

Mark | Dec 9, 2008 | Reply

12. I saw my first albino deer south of Charlottesville, VA. Amazing!

Bobbi | Dec 19, 2008 | Reply

13. Not sure where you guys live, but I have been tracking and photographing an albino doe outside of Wake Forest. The deer appears to be about 3 years old and is stunning. I hope she makes it through the hunting season.

Bobby | Dec 24, 2008 | Reply

14. I have also seen a buck in Youngsville, but I have not been able to get any pics of him.

Bobby | Dec 24, 2008 | Reply

15. After the usuall christmas dinner , king ranch casaroel ect the father and i sat down to read a few articles from buckmanager, the questions came up about albino deer , Neither one of us have ever seen such creature but the the remebrance of a solid black deer (whitetail) was brought up . Is this posible ? well If I can find the picture from about 20 years ago I will post it. The deer was takin outside of austin texas by my father. The ranch is longer there and like all other land in the area is in concrete now.

Travis | Dec 25, 2008 | Reply

16. I just saw an albino deer in the suburbs of Pittsburgh, PA, and it was beautiful!

TS | Dec 28, 2008 | Reply

17. Perhaps you did not know that albino deer are considered sacred by the Native American tribes of the United States.

Karlie | Jan 27, 2009 | Reply

18. I have a friend who has seen an albino deer while driving to work past my house, but I have not seen one yet. But I am hoping, so maybe this year!!

Ty | Jan 27, 2009 | Reply

19. I saw an albino deer this morning (2/17/09) driving to work through Leesburg, Virginia.

curt | Feb 17, 2009 | Reply

20. My family and I saw an albino deer Sunday morning (2/22/09) around 6:30am. We were driving east on Route 118 in Columbia County, Pennsylvania (between Rts. 239 and 487). The deer ran right in front of our car with another deer, both heading north. Awesome sight.

LE | Feb 23, 2009 | Reply

21. I could not believe my eyes! This morning (3/10/09) around 7:00 AM, I looked out into our woods and an albino whitetail deer was playing with 3 other normal color deer. Living here for over 20 years, my husband and I have never seen an albino deer in our woods before in Essex, Illinois. Did not get a good picture — it was too far our for our camera. What a beautiful sight and nice way to start the day.

Trischa | Mar 10, 2009 | Reply

22. My husband and I were taking a ride on our motorcycle in the country and slowed down to look at something in a wooded area. It was an albino deer and it was looking right at us. We stayed and watched for around 3 minutes. We live in Marion, Illinois.

Brenda | Mar 11, 2009 | Reply

23. I saw an albino deer on my way home from work on Tuesday March 10th around 5:15 pm. It was approximately 1 1/2 miles South of Gibson City, Illinois and about 1 mile East of Route 47. I had never seen one before and wasn’t sure what I was looking at at first. Then I saw another regular colored white-tail deer beside it, and I knew it had to be an albino deer. Truely amazing! Now I look for it every day on my way to work and on my way home in the evening. I hope to see it again. Next time I’ll try to snap a picture of it!

Lauren | Mar 12, 2009 | Reply

24. I just saw a albino deer tonight!!! It kind of startled me becaue I didnt know they existed, and it was dark. The deer was pretty much all white, but it had a couple of brown spots on its face and side.

Georgette | Mar 12, 2009 | Reply

25. Georgette-

The white-tailed deer you saw may not have been an albino if it had spots on its body. It sounds like it could be a piebald deer.

Buck Manager | Mar 13, 2009 | Reply

26. I saw a white deer on my way home this afternoon traveling through Alamance County, North Carolina, in a wooded area. I couldn’t wait to get home and check the Internet. I did not know that albino deer existed so it really was an awesome sight.

Monique | Mar 13, 2009 | Reply

27. I believe you are correct. It did look more like the piebald deer than an albino.I was trying to get a picture of it but it was too dark and I was kind of startled. Had not seen a deer like that before. I saw the deer in West Point, Virginia.

Georgette | Mar 15, 2009 | Reply

28. I first spotted an albino deer in our woods last summer. We have watched it grow and have enjoyed it very much. I’m afraid “Whitey” won’t survive each season, but there she is back again and again.

June | Mar 20, 2009 | Reply

29. I was privileged enough to watch an adult doe and its three fawns, one of which was an albino. They gradually made their way down a tree-covered hill side into a small field, across a road with a drainage ditch on either side, and between two houses–grazing the entire way. The process took roughly 20 minutes and it was worth sitting still for that long! It was simply amazing watching the amount of protection the three “normal” deer were providing to the albino. So cool. This took place in the city limits of Cape Girardeau, Missouri.

Josh | Mar 21, 2009 | Reply

30. I saw a white deer with black spots about the size of my hand at the eastern entrance to The Great Smokey Mountains National Park on March 23,2009. It was going up the bank and I was not able to see if it was a buck or doe.

Shirley | Mar 26, 2009 | Reply

31. I have seen an albino deer in Youngsville two times. Both times it has been seen off of Hicks Road near Cedar Creek Middle School. My wife and I watched it for five minutes. We were amazed! The albino deer was with two other young doe both times, but the other two were normal whitetail.

Scott

Scott | Mar 29, 2009 | Reply

32. My aunt has an albino deer in her back yard. Beautiful and unbelievable. She lives in middle Tennessee.

crystal | Mar 30, 2009 | Reply

33. I just saw a lovely piebald doe just a few minutes ago drinking at my pond (4/5/09)! She had a dark nose, eyes, and hooves. The deer had these caramel colored spots just like an Appaloosa, two caramel ears, two large caramel spots encircling her eyes, white front feet, and striped hind legs, perfectly symetrical, with a large black oval spot on her tail. Amazing!!! The piebald was with a group of does, but clearly not part of the pack. She did not know what to make of the goose floating toward her in the pond and bounded away, only to come back and check him out again with curiosity.

Felicity | Apr 5, 2009 | Reply

34. I just saw my first white deer. It was standing in the woods along Blackburn Road in Sewickley Heights, Pennsylvania. What an amazing animal to see! It’s like a life changing feeling you get. I feel blessed to have seen this beautiful deer.

Tammy | Apr 16, 2009 | Reply

35. Last evening, I saw for the first time an albino deer. The doe was in a field along Ridge Road in Gibsonia, Pennsylvania. What a stunning sight!

Cheryl | Apr 19, 2009 | Reply

36. On May 2, 2009, my wife and I, alerted by our dog, saw a pure white deer in our back yard in Eagles Mere, Pennsylvania at 6:00 a.m. The locals told us that it is a common sighting on the mountain, and about 20 years ago there were quite a few in the vicinity. It was an unforgettable sight.

jim | May 3, 2009 | Reply

37. We saw a white albino deer in Hillsborough, North Carolina, very late at night in March 2008 at Orange Grove Road and Eno Mountain Road.

Jane | May 19, 2009 | Reply

38. There is an albino deer in my neighborhood in Forest Hills, Tennessee, a suburb of Nashville. Three to four times a week I see it in my front yard with his siblings. I have been able to take many pictures. The deer was born last year and it’s always a treat when he’s around.

Jon | May 20, 2009 | Reply

39. My wife and I live in town in Columbia, Missouri. The back of our lot is wooded and we see whitetail deer there frequently. A couple of nights ago we spotted what appeared to be a newborn albino fawn with its mother.

George | May 26, 2009 | Reply

40. My husband and I live in Dandridge, Tennessee, area and we recently saw an albino deer. It was the first white whitetail deer we have seen in this area. We hope to see it more often.

Ellen | May 29, 2009 | Reply

41. I read an interesting report of a herd of deer which had apparently rejected an albino member, refusing to allow it to travel with them. It stayed nearby, but alone. Interestingly enough, the local wolves left it alone, stalking the normal colored weak and old of the herd. It seems they did not recognize it as prey because it was white and not part of a herd.

Will Shirley | May 31, 2009 | Reply

42. I live in Dandridge, Tennessee, also and I saw an albino deer this morning in my neighborhood.

Carol | Jun 3, 2009 | Reply

43. I live in Arlington, Tennessee. I saw what I think was an albino deer this morning playing with some other brown deer in the tree line outside in the back of my house this morning. I had heard of one by some neighbors, but had not seen it until this morning. It was an awesome site. I didn’t get close enough, obviously, to see if it had pink eyes, but it was pure white snow.

Kerry | Jun 3, 2009 | Reply

44. I saw an albino whitetail deer at 5:00 pm this evening along the side of the freeway near Holly, Michigan. I wasn’t sure what it was at first. I got to watch him for about 10 minutes before he moved on. Very cool.

Pat | Jun 20, 2009 | Reply

45. My daughters and I just saw an albino whitetail deer at 8:40 pm CST in southern Cook County, Illinois. It was a doe. This really was the most beautiful animal I had ever seen. This doe was about 10 feet away from us and white as snow. There is no hunting in Cook County, so I plan on seeing her again.

Pamela | Jun 22, 2009 | Reply

46. My husband and I were coming back from Erie, Pennsylvania, on 6/22/09 – while driving though southern tier expressway on the side of the guardrail we spotted an albino deer that was waiting to cross the road. I am very happy to say that he waited. Perhaps it is because I bought my husband a set of those deer whistlers to put on the front of his truck. Not sure, but a good looking ablino buck!

Laura | Jun 23, 2009 | Reply

47. I keep seeing a huge albino whitetail buck every summer, but then when the season rolls around and the snow is on the ground, he is nowhere to be found. I am in Long Island, New York.

Rich | Jun 29, 2009 | Reply

48. Upon traveling the 20-25 minute trip home from Westerville, Ohio to Centerburg, Ohio on 7-2-09, I was commanded to a sudden stop (with an unusually long line of traffic behind me!), when a doe appeared from the woods, about to cross the country road. Behind her followed a very normal pigmented fawn and a second fawn which astonished me….an albino. With a Father and brother who were avid hunters and conservationists, I was surprised that I had never heard any conversation about albino Whitetails. But in a conversation with my brother shortly following my encounter, he said that yes they do exist, but I gather that he had never seen one (Adirondack area) other than one or two in captivity. My brother emailed me with this website for more information!

Ann Jensen/ July 5, 2009

Ann Jensen | Jul 5, 2009 | Reply

49. I saw a white deer Friday July 24. It was on near Crozet. I had to do a double take, it was beautiful.

Shelly Williams | Jul 27, 2009 | Reply

50. I don’t know if these are considered Albino deer but we have these two deer that are babies , all white except for their heads , they are brown. I have never seen anything like them. I tried to get pictures of them grazing, but they run, of course. I will keep trying. They are amazing to see. We live in Wawa Pa.

PHYLLIS PORTER | Aug 8, 2009 | Reply

51. On August 8th 2009 I saw an Albino doe at the Reynolds Drive in off 18 at Transfer, PA around 3:30pm. My husband has told me that the saying is it is bad luck to shoot a albino deer. Maybe that is why so many keep seeing the same deer come back every year. Also my son’s girlfriend told me that to see a albino deer brings you good luck. It is a legend that it is suppose to be mythical. I was speechless and amazed to see such a beautiful animal.

Debbie Kimmel | Aug 9, 2009 | Reply

52. Can’t believe anyone would hunt such a beautiful animal! We saw one in Eagles Mere PA crossing the road. It was amazing! I read that their eyesight (and perhaps their hearing too) is not great. So where is the “sport” in killing this animal?

David | Aug 16, 2009 | Reply

53. We have about a dozen whitetail deer that come in our back yard everyday. Today I saw a young abino about two months old with two other deer. It was about two hundred feet away. Locust, North Carolina.

Jesse | Aug 21, 2009 | Reply

54. I`M DEER CRAZY AND LOVE THE OLD COLOR ONES THE BEST. I HAVEN`T SEEN AN ALBINO ONE FOR A WHILE NOW, BUT IN THE PAST 2 TO 3 YEARS I HAVE SEEN ALOT OF PIEBALDS. THIS YEAR MY HUSBAND AND I HAVE SEEN A NEW COLOR. IT WAS A DOE ABOUT 8 MONTHS OLD AND WAS A VERY LIGHT GOLDEN COLOR, ALMOST A CREAM. THE DEER IS ONLY ABOUT 2 MILES FROM MY HOUSE, SO I HAVE BEEN KEEPING AN EYE OUT FOR HER TO GET SOME PHOTOS. SHE HAS THE NORMAL WHITE MARKINGS OF THE REGULARLY COLOR WHITETAILS, BUT SHE IS A VERY VERY LIGHT GOLDEN CREAM COLOR. I KNOW IT WILL BE HARD FOR HER TO MAKE IT THOUGH HUNTING SEASON FOR WHERE I LIVE. I AT LEAST HOPE TO GET A PHOTO OF HER.

ANNE | Aug 27, 2009 | Reply

55. Today, I saw a beautiful albino deer at the Richland Country Club in Nashville, Tennessee.

Victor | Sep 19, 2009 | Reply

56. I saw an albino deer while I was in the woods in Grant County, Maryland. I live in Garrett County.

brandon | Sep 23, 2009 | Reply

57. We are lucky to have an albino doe come up the back lane in the evenings while we were doing chores. During the hunting seasons I’d pray she’d make it, then this year she surprised us with albino twins! Sandy Lake, PA.

Tracey Donop | Sep 27, 2009 | Reply

58. Recently I saw my first “white” deer in a rural area in Anderson County, Williamston, SC. It was awesome! But, after contacting the Wildlife Association in my state, it saddened me to learn what I did about Albino deer. This is what was sent to me by a wildlife biologist:

“True albino deer (including the pink eyes) are rare. In most cases deer that have abnormal amounts of white or appear all white are actually referred to as piebald. The amount of white associated with piebaldism is determined genetically and is an inherited trait. Those animals that appear all white received a “dominant” dose so to speak.”

In cases of true albinism and for the slightly more common piebaldism, the animals typically have reduce survival rates. Typically and particularly for piebald animals, there are a number of abnormalities in addition to the aberrant coat coloration. The piebald anomaly as it is called, tends to produce animals with varying degrees of skeletal problems including a “parrot jaw” or overbite, as well as malformed legs and joints. Additionally these animals may suffer from scoliosis (curving of the spine) and malformations of various internal organs.

Still, I feel blesssed to have seen one!!

Dawn Brooks | Oct 14, 2009 | Reply

59. I have heard of many albino deer in Wayne County, Illinois, but I finally got to see one for myself. The doe was as white as snow.

Dena | Oct 15, 2009 | Reply

60. I have seen an albino deer near my house. Thinking about letting him live on. Hopefully he makes it, but bow season started 2 days ago. We will see. I live in Steuben County, New York.

Markus Larson | Oct 19, 2009 | Reply

61. Just saw an albino 4 point in Seven Fields, Pennsylvania. The deer has lived here for a while, as we have spotted it several times over the past few years.

Dawn | Oct 30, 2009 | Reply

62. November 4, 2009: Earlier today, I saw a nice albino doe standing right off of I-85 just south of Greensboro, North Carolina. One of the most amazing sights I have ever seen!

Jerry Furr | Nov 4, 2009 | Reply

63. These deer are all really big.

Mark Moore | Nov 6, 2009 | Reply

64. I saw a 6 point white deer tonight on my way home from work. I would not say it was Albino becasue I am pretty sure the eyes were dark, but it was white as white could be. However it had 2-3 very small brown spots and it hair was longer and shaggy unlike the common deer. I almost think it might be a hybrid of some sort.

Michelle | Nov 8, 2009 | Reply

65. Hey Lauren, I live off of 98 going towards Bunn. I am a hunter and saw a completely white doe. You didn’t lose yours did you? I watched her and let her go. I mostly hunt just to enjoy the wildlife.

Junior | Nov 13, 2009 | Reply

66. I saw a deer today that had a white neck, totally white belly, and white legs. It’s back was brown. Saw it coming from a long ways off.

Raygunn | Nov 18, 2009 | Reply

67. I shot a 70 pound albino doe on November 21, 2009 in Harrison County, Indiana, in the state Forrest. She was truly amazing, and it was the first time I ever laid eyes on one. She is going to be a beautiful full body mount. I watched her for a while before taking the shot. For me, it was just as exciting as taking a buck!

Eric Faith | Nov 23, 2009 | Reply

68. I have a beautiful medium sized albino doe that lives around my house in Orange County, North Carolina. I have seen her often at the edge of the woods in a field about a fifth of a mile from my residence, but had never seen her actually in MY yard until three weeks ago. I woke up and looked out my back window and there she was. I took some good shots of her, and no offense to you hunters, but mine were with my Canon digital power shot! I have NOTHING against hunting to those who respect the sport as I am an avid fisherman.

Tony | Dec 1, 2009 | Reply

69. We saw a beautiful albino deer, complete with pink nose and hooves today 12-11-09 in Mureesborough,Tennessee in a field with about 5 other normal whitetail deer. At first we thought it was a statue, until it started to move. I had to look it up online when I got home because we didn’t believe it was possible.

Julieann | Dec 13, 2009 | Reply

70. We have a little whitetail doe that has visited our yard at least three times this fall. She is white from hooves up to the top of her back, which is brown. I believe there is some brown on her head. We have a picture that is too distant for exact details, but I was told there is a specific name for this type of albino.

Leo Winkler | Dec 19, 2009 | Reply

71. We have many white deer here in the Browns Mills/Ft. Dix New Jersey area, and they may be seen singly or in groups of two to five.

Andy Sinatra | Dec 25, 2009 | Reply

72. We have been seeing a nearly all-white deer near our home in North East, Maryland. It runs with a bunch of normal-colored deer and seems a bit mis-shapen. Some people think it is a goat, but it certainly looks and runs like a white-tailed deer.

RGalloway | Dec 30, 2009 | Reply

73. Some individuals (Bob Osborne above) may have been seeing white Fallow Deer (originally from Europe). They are completely white and the bucks have spikes their first year. If you see more than one at a time, the odds are they’re fallow deer… especially in Texas.

Hunter D | Dec 31, 2009 | Reply

74. We saw a white deer on our way home today in Patrick County, Virginia. It is an amazing thing to see, very beautiful standing on the hill next to the road. My mother in laws said that was the first one she has ever seen in her 70 years. I never knew there were albino deer. Awesome sighting!!!

Kim | Jan 3, 2010 | Reply

75. My stepson shot a 4X4 albino buck this past hunting season in SASKATCHEWAN,CANADA. He is a very nice buck. I have hunted since 1968 and I nor my pals have ever seen one.

J.C.WEIST | Jan 6, 2010 | Reply

76. I saw an albino deer on January 5 in Stockton, New Jersey. It had what appeared to be a black patch on the side. This is the very first time I saw one. I was not aware that they exist. At first I thought it was a goat travelling in the company of other deer. They were crossing a field off route 523.

Desmond Thompson | Jan 8, 2010 | Reply

77. Lauren, I live in Wake Forest and I also have an albino that lives in my backyard.

Tracey | Jan 12, 2010 | Reply

78. On January 3, 2010, I harvested a white buck on my northwest Webb County, Texas, ranch. The buck was 8 1/2 years old. He had been protected by the ranch owner until this year. He was showing signs of age and we decided to harvest him and do a full body mount. He sported a 20 inch wide, 8 point set of antlers. I do not believe he was a full albino for his nose was dark, he had brown hooves, and his eyes were light in color–almost yellow but with a dark pupil and normal veining.

H.A. | Jan 13, 2010 | Reply

79. I saw an albino deer near Efland, North Carolina, today at dusk. It was walking next to the interstate.

LB | Jan 19, 2010 | Reply

80. What would a 120 pound 100% albino with pink eyes be worth to a big outfit to display in a store? It’s a doe and I bagged it durning black powder season. Harrison County, Indiana.

Bernie Mac | Jan 21, 2010 | Reply

81. Coming home tonight right at dusk, I saw a herd of does… 10 or 12 Does just off the road. I realized that there was a white animal standing in the middle of all these does. I backed up thinking I was seeing things and there she was, a solid white doe. The other does ran off but Venada Blanca just stood there looking at me. In my part of the world, hunting competes with football as the biggest sport, so it was amazing to see her after our long deer hunting season. C. Camacho Throckmorton, Texas.

C Camacho | Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

82. My father’s friend shot a odd colored doe on the last weekend of the season. We watched him jump off the four wheeler and shoot, so we then helped him look for it. I saw something on the ground that was white on the back with brown spots on the back, then brown underneath. The head was also white. I was surprised by its coloration.

Thomas Nelson | Feb 1, 2010 | Reply

83. I saw an all white deer here in Oley, Pennsylvania, last week (January 28, 2010) and this was the second one, that I’ve seen in my 57 years of living.

Willam C. Cary | Feb 2, 2010 | Reply

84. My husband shot an Albino spike buck in 1977, and passed away at the age of 31! I consider it to be bad luck. My son and I have the hide, antler and foot of the deer and we do not want it anymore and do not no how to discard of it. Any suggestions?

Coleen Gerhard | Feb 10, 2010 | Reply

85. Coleen, if it’s a shoulder mount and in good condition, maybe try Ebay or a local auction. Albino whitetails are rare and the price you get will depend on the size of the antlers and the condition of the cape. I wouldn’t throw it away. SOMEONE will want it.

Hunter D | Feb 15, 2010 | Reply

86. Last night as I was turning off my porch lights, I saw several deer in my front yard. At first it was like seeing a ghost, but upon closer observation I realized it was a white albino deer. The deer was there about 15 minutes and then ran off.

Sunset Lake- Fuquay/Holly Springs area of Wake County, North Carolina

Martha | Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

87. My two sons and I saw an albino whitetail today in Somerset County, Somerset, New Jersey, on Cortyleus Road. It was just browsing with two other deer. Very cool!

Frank | Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

88. I saw an albino deer this morning in my backyard. I live in Bowie, Maryland (Prince George’s county). It was just eating along with about 6 other deer.

Mike | Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

89. I have an albino deer living behind my house in Rehoboth, Massachusetts.

Gary P | Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

90. While driving today, I saw an albino deer. With the dark overcast of the morning, it stood out here in Rocky Mount, North Carolina.

Jeff | Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

91. Jesse, our Locust, North Carolina albino is doing very well, and he is getting huge! It is the day after Easter, and he and his pals are grazing behind the church. I was a little worried, not having seen him the last month or so, but this evening he is out and about, and better than ever. It is an awesome sight.

Mack | Apr 5, 2010 | Reply

92. I live in Lansing, Illinois. We had an albino deer in our local forest perserve, but unfortunately it got hit by a car. Today, on a walk through the forest perserve, a man asked me if I had seen the albino deer. I told him no, that I had heard it had been killed a couple of years ago. He said, look. To my amazement, the albino was browsing just a few yards away from us. It must be related to the other albino we had.

Dianna Baran | Apr 17, 2010 | Reply

93. Today, I found an albino fawn thats mother was killed by a car, so I kept the deer and I’m nursing it back to heath. I’m going to keep it as a pet.

Tommy | May 19, 2010 | Reply

94. There is an albino deer in the forest preserves in Glenwood, Illinois, a suburb of Chicago. The deer has been here for about 3 years. It walks around the neighborhood in and out of yards and can be seen on the sidewalks or streets at any hour of the day.

Dennis Parker | Jun 22, 2010 | Reply

95. My family and I were taking a ride in the woods and we saw something white so we turned around–and there it was–an albino deer with pink eyes. It’s fawn was the normal brown color. I had never seen one before, it was great! This was in Illinois.

Tasha | Jul 2, 2010 | Reply

96. My friend and I observed an albino doe over the weekend feeding in a field. She was absolutely beautiful! She had 2 fawns and they were golden. Rocky Mount, North Carolina.

Lori | Jul 12, 2010 | Reply

97. I saw my first albino deer this morning standing in a field near our house in Selma, North Carolina. WHAT A BEAUTIFUL SITE!

Terry | Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

98. We have an albino buck that comes by our house every night. He travels with 2 other large whitetail bucks. He is a NICE LOOKING animal! We live in SE Missouri

Marsha | Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

99. There does seem to be many albinos in Franklin County, North Carolina. I live outside of Louisburg and have 2 albinos that live in the woods around my house, both of them does. I also know 2 hunters that shot 2 albino does and had them mounted. Last week, my friend took a picture of an albino doe and buck at Kerr Lake.

Sara | Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

100. Last night during my evening walk I saw a white fawn with a sibling and their mother in our subdivision. We live in Calvert County, Owings, Maryland. It was neat to see an albino fawn. At first glance, I thought it was a goat!

Jessica | Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

101. Today, while walking the trail north from St. John’s Church on Bear Island, New Hampshire, we encountered what looked like an albino white-tailed deer. At first it looked like a goat, but as we got closer it jumped and took off through the woods. It was definitely a deer. Has anyone ever noticed one in this area? I will be sure to take the camera into the woods tomorrow.

Glenn | Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

102. My husband and I have an albino doe coming to our tree stand with what I believe is her mother. The deer is about a year old and is a sight to see! We live in the southern part of West Virginia.

Devan | Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

103. I have a true albino deer who hangs around my house in South Jersey. Today, I was standing in my front yard and it passed by me at 20 feet.

LT | Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

104. I saw one in my neighbor’s yard. Got a grainy video of it. I have seen it a couple of times now. I am in Charlottesville, Virginia.

Dpak | Oct 26, 2010 | Reply

105. David has seen an albino doe for the past 2 days on Interstate 80 between Newton and Colfax, Iowa. If she is still there this weekend he is gonna try to get some photos of the ghost deer!

Janelle | Oct 27, 2010 | Reply

106. I’ve seen one probably a dozen times driving through Pierce Township Ohio, just outside of Cincinnati. I finally got some photos of it.

Andy | Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

107. I have been seeing an albino doe on west side Tulsa, Oklahoma, recently.
    The deer hangs out with 3 normally colored whitetail does.

Michael | Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

108. We observed an albino doe in Harnett County, North Carolina. She stood still long enough for my husband to get some great pics. She is totally white, with big pink ears, but it looks like her eyes have some blue to them. Does this mean she is not 100% albino?

Ann | Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

109. Burlington, North Carolina: I never knew albino deer existed until one morning I was standing in my doorway letting my dogs out and one came up beside the house. I don’t live in an area with thick woods either. I was so startled because I had just woken up. It was so surreal and beautiful! I really hope I get to see him again. Reading these post made me realize I probably will someday!

Jenn | Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

110. I saw the albino doe along Interstate 80 between Newton and Colfax, Iowa on Friday, November 19, 2010. She is still in the area.

Jerry K. | Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

111. I saw 2 albino deer at the same time this evening… it was the craziest thing I had ever seen. How common is that?

Ian | Nov 27, 2010 | Reply

112. Since June, I’ve had an albino white doe living on my farm near Arabi, Georgia. In June she was a fawn. At first I thought someone’s goat had gotten out, but after watching her for a few minutes I realized she was a deer. Now she’s nearly full grown and quite a sight to behold. I normally see her once a week.

Ron L | Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

113. I saw an albino deer with a single brown spot on it. The deer was in my neighbors yard with 4 others. What a great sight to see on Christmas Eve! I have also seen a white squirrel in the past. Who would have thought… in Charlotte, North Carolina!?!?!

Bernadette Walton | Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

114. I have a true albino buck. It is a full body mount and has 11 points; two are drop tines and has a third one broken off. It field dressed at 198 pounds. It’s a beautiful site to see. Should I insure it? And for how much?

Gary King | Jan 13, 2011 | Reply

115. I saw an albino fawn, which I took a picture of, a few weeks ago then again yesterday on my way home. I live in Courtland, Virginia. I stopped my truck so my wife could see it. I hope I get the chance to take some more pictures of this rare but beautiful creature.

David Boykin | Jan 24, 2011 | Reply

116. I saw an albino fawn deer today in Hamilton Twp., NJ. I could hardly believe it. It was beautiful.

Fran Kauufman | Feb 24, 2011 | Reply

117. My husband and I saw an albino deer last week near our home in Guthrie, Oklahoma. We asked around and found out there is a rather large population of white deer in this county.

Rebecca | Mar 6, 2011 | Reply

118. Saw an albino deer at the crack of dawn yesterday in a suburb of Charlotte, North Carolina.

Adrienne S. | Apr 25, 2011 | Reply

119. Saw an albino deer with a brown head playing with two other deer in Gumboro, Delaware. Could not believe my eyes!

Jay | May 22, 2011 | Reply

120. I know someone that found a newborn solid white fawn on the road during a storm that produced a tornado. The mother did not appear after waiting for several minutes. She is caring for the fawn, but is unsure of the law regarding keeping a found fawn in Virginia. Any comments?

Judy | Jun 2, 2011 | Reply

121. Judy, unfortunately is sounds like your friend abducted the fawn. The mother was probably nearby, but a wild deer should not be expected to approach a human. I am not intimately familiar with Virginia law, but if they are like most states, then my guess is that your friend is illegally possessing the deer. At this point, it would be best if the fawn was turned over to someone registered for wildlife rehab. Call your state wildlife office.

Buck Manager | Jun 5, 2011 | Reply

122. This evening while driving through the countryside looking for deer, my husband and I saw a white deer with a group of seven regular whitetail. It was a cool sight. We often drive around looking for deer, but it is the first time we have ever seen a white one. St. Johns, MI.

Joan | Jul 1, 2011 | Reply

123. Me and my girlfriend seen one yesterday, up close. Two bay deer were by the side of Route 6 outside Honesdale, Pennsylvania. We got out of the car to chase them from the edge of the road where they were lying down, one was white, the other tan. I was 5 feet away from them. Both fawns.

Gil Arnold | Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

124. I live south of Ozark Missouri, near Branson and the Mark Twain forest and today near dusk I saw my first albino deer. We turned around to get a better view and she had run back into the forest. Today was my brother-in-laws stem cell transplant after many months of battling cancer and I am taking this as a sacred sign from God that things will be alright.

Gayla | Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

125. I just saw my first all white deer in Maine. This one was a youngster with 3 other fawns.

Joe | Sep 1, 2011 | Reply

126. My husband has a full mount albino buck. How much are these worth? In every good condition?

Jeanny Evans | Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

127. I saw an albino fawn here in Durham, North Carolina (Third Fork Creek Trail area). I too thought it must be a goat, until I got closer and saw it eating the tall grasses with a fellow fawn! It was so beautiful and unique. I felt like I’d seen a unicorn! :-)

NCRunningGal | Nov 12, 2011 | Reply

128. We have an albino doe behind our house. She was a twin and is now 4 years old. When my wife saw her for the first time she said, “Look, there’s a goat in the yard!” We live near The Lake of The Ozarks in Missouri.

Roger Gibson | Nov 19, 2011 | Reply

129. I never even knew these existed before tonight! I was driving home just a little bit ago and an albino doe ran out in front of me in the road. It had spots, and I’d never seen anything like it, so I sat there dumbfounded trying to figure out what I was looking at. Now that I’ve done some Googling and can see how relatively rare they are, I wish I’d thought to get a picture with my phone before it got past the tree line… I live in Phenix City, Alabama.

Leah | Nov 25, 2011 | Reply

130. Saw an albino deer today and took a photo. I think it was a doe because it was mature with no antlers. Seen in Calvert County, Maryland

Greg | Dec 2, 2011 | Reply

131. I saw an albino deer in Franconia Notch, New Hampshire.

Anita | Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

132. I saw one in Crete, Illinois, taking a back road to a friend’s house. While thinking about God and life and salvation… stepping out of the trees was a huge white deer with red eyes. Albino. I stopped the car and it stepped out into the road. Very close to me. About sixty feet. Walked slowly and with ease… leaped into the next property, over the ditch. So so beautiful. Its funny how we see albino animals as special and albino humans seemed to be pitied.

Sherrod Brown | Dec 6, 2011 | Reply

133. On the way to school this morning my 15 year old daughter said there was a white deer in a field we drive by every day. I told her she was nuts, pulled a U-turn and we went back to look. I was floored to see an all white buck! We could not get close enough to see if his eyes were pink, but we could not see any other color variations on him. I would love to hear opinions on this as we are not hunters and don’t know much about the deer we see in our neighborhood. Lehi in Utah.

Teresa | Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

134. I saw a white deer in the woods along the highway tonite in Columbus, Ohio. It was standing next to a standard white tail deer. I never knew there was anything other than a standard brown.

Diane | Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

135. We have an albino deer living on our farm in Keswick, Virginia. We first spotted it in the early summer as a fawn, and she/he stayed with a group of deer all summer and into fall. It has been spotted once or twice in early winter, but we have not seen it lately. We shall see.

Aileen Kelly | Jan 1, 2012 | Reply

136. I am 65 years old, have spent many more days in the woods than not, but have never seen an albino white tailed deer until yesterday, Jan 15, 2012, in Durham, North Carolina. The sighting lasted 30 minutes. Four attentive regular brown deer accompanied and seemedly looked after the albino. The brown deer watched me for a movement that would verify their instincts. I did not move. The deer was beautiful. I hope to get a photo in the future…. without intruding.

Bob Myers | Jan 15, 2012 | Reply

137. I was just driving home tonight, Feb 14 2012. And I thought I was seeing a very large white dog crossing the road into the bushes, as I got closer I stopped my car, it was an albino deer, all alone. I didn’t even know deer could look like that. My friend was with me, and she even had her jaw drop. It happened in Reynoldsville/Rathmel, Pennsylvania. I think its a good omen to see a deer that pretty, sense its not an everyday thing. Happy Valentines Day to me =)

Tania Butler | Feb 14, 2012 | Reply

138. I drive a school bus in Fort White, Florida, and saw what I thought at first was a large dog chasing a group of deer this morning. It was not, it was a deer too! This deer was mostly white but it also had brown markings on it. Piebald. If the students hadn’t seen the same thing, I would not have believed my eyes!

Charlene Deese | Feb 15, 2012 | Reply

139. My husband and I were driving on Mithcellville Road in Bowie, Maryland (2/15/12) when I spotted a white dear in the woods. I had my husband turn the car around because he did not believe me. Sure enough, it was still there and I got out of car and took pictures. What a sight!!

Yvonne | Feb 15, 2012 | Reply

140. I saw a white deer in Texas the other night. My friend and her husband saw the same deer a few nights later. Was beautiful!

Elaine | Feb 18, 2012 | Reply

141. I saw an albino whitetail deer this morning in North Durham on Roxboro Road around 8:40. Maybe the same one you saw, Bob?

Deb | Feb 29, 2012 | Reply

142. I saw an albino deer today on the American Tobacco Trail, Durham, North Carolina.

Jonathan Parrish | Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

143. We are also in Bowie. A white deer, likely same one mentioned here, runs with a group in out back yard. Reported to DNR, they said there were about 1,500 albinos in Maryland likely safe in Bowie. I guess he does not know RT3 South & North!

Dick Bolt | May 26, 2012 | Reply

144. On May 22, 2012 I saw my first albino deer on my way to work about 0630 just outside of Marshfield, WI. Absolutely stunning!

K Collins | May 28, 2012 | Reply

145. Okay, this is the most strange thing I have ever seen: This buck was half brown to the hind legs then speckled white to all white in rear of animal. Went to take picture buck some other person also spotted it and ran directly towards it. This startled the buck and it ran in the woods. It was with a group of “normal” brown deer. Parma, Ohio on June 5, 2012 around 4:00 p.m.

Sheila Ellison | Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

146. Sheila, it sounds like a piebald.

Buck Manager | Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

147. I saw an Albino buck in my yard a few years ago. He scared me! His body was all white yet his eyes were red. He hung around for a week. I never seen him again. There are a few piebald deer around that are mostly white with dark spots. They hang out with the other brown spotted deer.

Nefetari | Aug 3, 2012 | Reply

148. While picking up my CSA farm share, I saw an 80% white buck and 100% white fawn. Behind them were five “regular” brown fawns and a brown doe.

AJ Wiley | Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

149. Yesterday, my brotherinlaw and I went for a walk near a power line that had just been cut back. We saw a deer that was mostly white, but still had a fair amount of brown fur on its body. This is the second time I saw a deer like this in the same area in the last five years. I live in Fredericton, New Brunswick Canada.

Norm Bowen | Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

150. I have a young albino deer that comes out every afternoon just before night fall at my house. He is last year’s fawn because he is so small. I live in the southern part of Alabama. Never seen one this far south.

Wayne | Oct 12, 2012 | Reply

151. Saw an albino deer in Palmyra, Virginia yesterday.

Holly | Nov 4, 2012 | Reply

152. I saw an almost (70 precent) white deer off interstate 90 near West Seneca, N.Y. (Buffalo) right before the William Street exit. Saw it at 8 am….told my girlfriend….on our way home… 5:30pm….saw it again with her!!!

G | Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

153. I too have seen the albino doe on Ridge road in Gibsonia, Pa. Last year she had two fawns.

Linda | May 11, 2013 | Reply

154. I saw a white deer today while canoeing on falls lake in Raleigh.

Jeni | May 27, 2013 | Reply

155. We live north of Clarksville, Arkansas, on Hwy 21. My granddaughter and I were driving down the road when our neighbor stopped us and said look out there. It was a doe and a fawn, and the fawn was solid white. MY first albino.

Bobby | Jul 9, 2013 | Reply

156. I just saw an albino baby deer in West Deer Twp., Gibsonia, Pa. In my backyard. It’s the second one I have seen, first was near Erie about 10yrs. Ago. What a truly amazing and rare site!

Becky | Jul 20, 2013 | Reply

157. My husband and I just saw a white deer outside our kitchen window here on Whidbey Island, Washington. We see a lot of deer around here but this is the first one we’ve see in 18 yrs., here. It was starling and quite beautiful. It was with two other “normal” looking deer.

Barbara | Sep 16, 2013 | Reply

158. I just saw a deer this morning that was mostly white. It had some dark coloring around the face and foot area. At first as I was driving up on it I thought it was a goat. Then I asked my husband how could a goat be loose in this area. As I got closer I realized it was actually a deer and there was a normal colored deer behind it. We were in Vernon, New Jersey. I have never seen a deer that looked like that before it was beautiful.

Milissa | Sep 27, 2013 | Reply

159. I’ve never seen white deer before but this year we have 2 white does similar size in our back pastures. Unable to tell if they are true albino. What’s the chance of having two though?

kris | Oct 11, 2013 | Reply

160. I saw an white doe in Nacogdoches, Texas, this weekend. My first thought was “sick llama?” When I got closer, she took my breath away.

Bonnie | Dec 8, 2013 | Reply

161. Spirit of Christmas showed up in our yard this morning. My first ever albino deer. He was breath-taking. So grateful for the chance to see one in my lifetime. WF, NC.

Diana | Dec 22, 2013 | Reply

162. March 9, 2014 at the Wake Forest Church of God in North Carolina we saw what we think was an albino deer. It was with a herd of deer, about 15. This deer looked to be about a year old and solid white. We watched it in amazement as it grazed the grass. Great way to end the night!

Mary | Mar 9, 2014 | Reply

163. My dad and I just saw a beautiful albino whitetail! Wow, truly amazing. Winnebago county, Wisconsin.

Amy Huebner | Mar 29, 2014 | Reply