Parrie Haynes Ranch – Celebration of History

The Friends of Parrie Haynes Ranch has arranged to have more than 200 young people attend an event on Saturday, October 13, 2007 to mark the 50th anniversary of the passing of Parrie Haynes, who donated the property near Killeen that eventually became a Texas Parks and Wildlife Department outreach facility.

Parrie and Allen Haynes were married in 1895 and started working as tenant farmers. Through hard work and determination, and by saving and living a frugal life, they eventually built a modest cattle empire. After Mr. Haynes died in 1953, Parrie took over the ranch. The Haynes were very fond of children, but were childless. So, upon her death in 1957, Mrs. Haynes bequeathed $100,000 to the Killeen School district for scholarships, and donated about 4,500 acres of her beloved ranch to the Texas Youth Commission to serve “the orphans of Texas.”

In 1993, the Stae of Texas, specifically Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, in partnership with the Texas Game Warden Association, leased Parrie Haynes Ranch to establish camps for children. In 2003, the Camp Coca Cola Foundation (now the C-5 Foundation) generously added new facilities at the ranch which are used for their summer residential camping program. Today, the Communications Division manages the ranch as a youth activity, conference, and equestrian facility open to groups on an advance-reservation basis. This Saturday from 10 a.m.- 4 p.m. youth will fish, nature walk, ride ponies and enjoy other activities at the 50th anniversary celebration. At 2 p.m., the friends group will unveil a new stone pedestal and marble plaque dedicated to Parrie Haynes’ legacy.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *